This page looks at essential sourdough bread tools & supplies. These items will help you to create delicious sourdough bread at home. Moreover, once you have mastered Bread Dad’s basic Bread Machine Sourdough Bread, the books & tools below will allow you to create a much wider array of intermediate and advanced sourdough breads.
Live Sourdough Starter
At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via the links below.
Sourdough Bread Cooks – Great recipes equal great sourdough breads!
- Sourdough Cookbook for Beginners: A Step-by-Step Introduction to Make Your Own Fermented Breads
- Artisan Sourdough Made Simple: A Beginner’s Guide to Delicious Handcrafted Bread with Minimal Kneading
- New World Sourdough: Artisan Techniques for Creative Homemade Fermented Breads
Sourdough Bread Tools
- Sourdough Starter – Important part of sourdough bread recipes! Sourdough starter provides the classic sourdough taste & the rise to the sourdough bread. Starter is a combination of lactic acid bacteria (the sourness) and yeast (the rise).
- Sourdough Bread Kits – Many of these kits contain all of the tools needed to create delicious sourdough bread. They usually include tools such as dough whisks, dough scrapers, proofing baskets, bread lames (scoring tools), etc.
- Sourdough Starter Jars – These clear jars allow you to monitor your sourdough starter’s growth & health.
- Bread Thermometers – These digital thermometers allow you to test the internal temperature of your sourdough bread to see if it has been fully baked.
- Dough Scrapers – Dough scrapers are tools used to scrape the bread dough off a kitchen surface (i.e. cutting board or counter top) and to slice the dough.
- Dough Whisks – Dough whisks help you to mix flour & water together before you start kneading. Specially designed for bread dough. Also known as a Danish dough whisk or Danish whisk.
- Dutch Ovens – Dutch ovens are used to create more “crusty” sourdough breads.
- Lames (Bread Scoring Tools) – A lame is a professional tool used to “score” the tops of sourdough breads in order to avoid uncontrolled cracks.
- Oven Thermometers – Oven thermometers are used to ensure that your oven has reached the right temperature called for a recipe. Many ovens are off by 20-50 degrees F and this can result in over & undercooked baking. An oven thermometer helps you to determine & adjust your oven’s actual temperature in order to meet the recipe’s requirements.
- Proofing Baskets – Proofing baskets help to shape your sourdough bread dough (into perfectly round breads, oval breads, etc.) and the pattern of the proofing basket can be used to leave “imprints” on the dough.
Bread Delivery Services
- Wildgrain – Sourdough bread delivery service. They ship “bake from frozen” sourdough breads to your home. Supposedly you can bake everything in less than 25 minutes. According to their website, they “deliver everywhere in the United States except to Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Alaska.”