Here is a large list of bread spices & herbs. They will add tons of flavor to your homemade bread. Our list ranges from allspice & basil to wasabi & white pepper. These essential bread spices & herbs are used to create breads such as Rosemary Bread, Ginger Bread, Cinnamon Raisin Bread, Cheddar Cheese & Chives Bread, Italian Herb Bread, etc.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via any affiliate links below. Thank you for supporting this recipe website!
Popular Bread Spices & Herbs – Updated
- Allspice – Allspice is used to make Spiced Quick Bread, Spiced Applesauce Bread, etc.
- Anise Seeds – According to Wikipedia, Anise “is a flowering plant in the family Apiaceae native to the eastern Mediterranean region and Southwest Asia. Its flavor has similarities with some other spices, such as star anise, fennel, and liquorice”.
- Basil – Fresh basil leaves usually taste better than dried basil. However, many people also buy dried basil to keep in their kitchens because it lasts much longer.
- Black Pepper – Many recipes use black pepper in order to improve the taste of the bread.
- Caraway Seeds – Caraway seeds are used to bread recipes such as Rye Bread.
- Chives – Chives are used in recipes such as Potato Bread, Cheddar Cheese & Chives Bread, etc.
- Cilantro – Cilantro is another herb that tastes better fresh. However, you can also buy dried cilantro.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is used in recipes such as Cinnamon Raisin Bread.
- Cloves – Cloves are used in Orange & Cloves Bread, Pumpkin & Cloves Bread, etc.,
- Cumin – Cumin is used in breads like Tomato & Cumin Bread, Onion & Cumin Bread, Cumin Bread, etc.
- Curry – Curry is great to give a hint of India to your homemade bread or sandwich fillings. For example, it is used in our Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe.
- Dill – Dill might be best known for its use with pickles. However, it is also used to make Dill Bread, Cottage Cheese Dill Bread, etc.
- Fennel Seeds – Fennel is used to make Fennel Bread, etc.
- Garlic Powder – Are you making some Garlic Bread? Try some garlic powder if you don’t have any garlic cloves available..
- Ginger – Useful if you want to make some old fashioned Ginger Bread.
- Horseradish – Adds some “zing” to sandwiches.
- Hot Pepper Flakes – If you want a hotter & spicier bread then add some hot pepper flakes!
- Italian Seasoning – Italian seasoning is a mixture of ingredients such as basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme. It is used in many Italian breads such as our Bread Machine Italian Herb Bread recipe.
- Lovage – Lovage is herb that you can grow at home. It tastes like celery but the plant can get very large.
- Mustard Powder
- Nutmeg – Nutmeg is used in breads such as Nutmeg Bread, Nutmeg Banana Bread, etc.
- Onion Flakes – Sprinkle some onion flakes on the top of the dough (before the bread bakes) to add some great onion flavor to your bread.
- Onion Powder – Great for making Onion Bread.
- Oregano – You will find oregano in many Italian-style breads.
- Paprika – This herb is used for things like Paprika & Garlic Bread.
- Rosemary – Rosemary is used in great tasting Italian & Mediterranean bread recipes such as Rosemary Bread.
- Sage – This herb is used for things such as Sage Focaccia Bread.
- Salt – Salt is an essential ingredient in many bread recipes. Salt is used to improve a bread’s taste, to preserve, to slow the rise of the bread yeast, etc.
- Sesame Seeds – Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the dough when you are trying to create a classic hamburger bun.
- Sugar – Sugar is needed for any type of sweet-tasting breads such as delicious Grandma-style Banana Bread. Bakers use a variety of sugars in their baked goods including white granulated sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, etc.
- Thyme – This herb can be used for Rosemary Thyme Bread, etc.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract is used in many cookies and cakes. It can also be used for recipes such as Vanilla Bread Pudding.
- Wasabi Powder – Hot & spicy!
- White Pepper – White pepper is often used for aesthetic reasons if the baker does not want to show any black pepper granules in their bread. The taste of white pepper is very similar to black pepper because they are both made from the same plant.
For even more ingredients that you can use to enhance the flavor of your sandwiches (i.e. improve a boring white bread sandwich), you should visit Bread Dad’s section on the Best Sandwich Condiments.
Salt is an essential ingredient in many bread recipes