In my opinion, here are the best sandwich recipes on the web. I have picked 83 great sandwich recipes covering 27 major sandwich categories. These categories include grilled cheese sandwiches, BLT sandwiches, club sandwiches, roast beef sandwiches, Reuben sandwiches, grilled chicken sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches and many more.
Of course, these recipes are even better when combined with your own homemade bread! A good sandwich can be made better with great bread. And it is hard to beat homemade bread. Moreover, why pay a fortune for semi-stale deli sandwiches when you can create your own delicious & unique homemade sandwiches?
If you need some bread ideas for your sandwiches, please visit Bread Dad’s sections on bread recipes or bread machine recipes. You will find recipes for buttery white bread, French bread, multigrain bread, bagels, etc.
Bacon Sandwich Recipes – A bacon sandwich is a hot sandwich filled with fried bacon and sometimes ingredients such as ketchup. FYI – A traditional bacon sandwich is not the same as a BLT. According to Wikipedia, a bacon sandwich is also “known in parts of the United Kingdom and New Zealand as a bacon butty, bacon bap or bacon sarnie, and in parts of Ireland as a rasher sandwich… Bacon sandwiches are an all-day favourite throughout the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.”
- Bacon Sandwich with Caramelized Onions from The Endless Meal
- The Great British Bacon Butty – Bacon Sandwich from Food.com
- Easy Bacon Butty Recipe from Mashed
BLT Sandwich Recipes – A BLT sandwich is made with (B)acon, (L)ettuce and (T)omato. The BLT sandwich is one of the most popular sandwiches eaten in America. You can make the BLT with a wide variety of sandwich breads such as white bread, whole wheat bread, multigrain bread, etc.
Breakfast Sandwich Recipes – A breakfast sandwich is typically a sandwich eaten for breakfast and filled with ingredients such as eggs, cheese and meat. Popular breakfast sandwich meats include ham, sausage and bacon. Breakfast sandwich bread consists of English muffins, bagels, biscuits, etc.
- The Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich from Pinch of Yum
- Ham, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches from Allrecipes
- Ham, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches from Pillsbury
- Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich with Maple Butter from Two Peas & Their Pod
Ham Sandwich on Tuscan Bread
Caprese Sandwich Recipes – A Caprese sandwich is a mozzarella cheese, tomato and basil sandwich often served on Italian bread or a French baguette. The ingredients in the Caprese sandwich may be topped with items such as pesto, olive oil, Italian dressing or Balsamic vinegar. It can be served as a regular sandwich, grilled sandwich, etc.
- Caprese Sandwich Recipe by Cookie and Kate
Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipes – A chicken salad sandwich is often made with chicken, mayonnaise, vegetables (such as chopped celery and onion) and spices. It can be served on white bread, whole wheat bread, toasted bread, rolls, etc.
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches from Betty Crocker
- Best Chicken Salad Sandwich from Allrecipes
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches from Food Network
Chickpea Sandwich Recipes – A chickpea sandwich is a sandwich that uses chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) as the key ingredient. Many people often like to use “more natural” breads (such as whole wheat bread, multigrain bread or cranberry walnut bread) to make their chickpea sandwiches.
- Chickpea Sunflower Sandwich from Minimalist Baker
- Curried Chickpea Sandwich from Food52
- Vegetarian Chickpea Sandwich Filling from Allrecipes
Club Sandwich Recipes – A club sandwich is a sandwich with at least three layers of bread and is usually filled with ingredients such as roast turkey or chicken, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. It may include extra ingredients such as ham. These ingredients are often layered between toasted white bread, whole wheat bread, etc.
- Club Sandwich Recipe by Spend with Pennies
- Classic Club Sandwich Recipe by Food Network
- Classic Turkey Club Sandwich Recipe by Boar’s Head
- Turkey Focaccia Club from Taste of Home
|Check out these very popular Sandwich & Panini Cookbooks. Tons of great recipes!|
Cuban Sandwich Recipes – A Cuban sandwich is a grilled sandwich usually filled with ingredients such as ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard. This sandwich is traditionally made with Cuban bread (a roll-type bread).
- Cuban Sandwich Recipe by Tasting Table
- Ultimate Cuban Sandwich Recipe by Food Network
- Chef John’s Cuban Sandwich Recipe by Allrecipes
Cucumber Sandwich Recipes – A cucumber sandwich is a classic UK white bread sandwich (historically served at tea time). However, according to Wikipedia, “modern variants, largely of United States origin, introduce cream cheese, mayonnaise, chopped dill or spices, and salmon, and may substitute brown bread”.
Homemade Chicken Salad Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread
Egg Salad Sandwich Recipes – A egg salad sandwich is typically made up of ingredients such as chopped-up hard-boiled eggs, mustard, mayonnaise, vegetables (such as celery) and spices. It can be served on white bread, toasted bread, rolls, etc.
- Egg Salad Sandwich from Tastes Better From Scratch
- Delicious Egg Salad for Sandwiches from Allrecipes
French Dip Sandwich Recipes – A French dip sandwich is a hot sandwich usually made with roast beef on a baguette (French bread). It is often topped with melted cheese and vegetables (i.e. onions). The French dip sandwich is also served with a container of dipping sauce on the side. Consumers of this sandwich like to dip the sandwich into the sauce as they eat.
- Easy French Dip Sandwiches from Allrecipes
- French Dip Sandwich from Spend with Pennies
- French Dip Sandwiches from Your Homebased Mom
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes – A grilled cheese sandwich is usually made by placing cheese between two slices of bread. Then, it is often cooked with melted butter in a frying pan or griddle until the bread browns and the cheese melts. Other ingredients (i.e. ham or vegetables) are often added to the interior of the sandwich with the cheese.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Allrecipes
- The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Natasha’s Kitchen
- Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich from The Salty Pot
- Mushroom Grilled Cheese from Food.com
Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipes – Grilled chicken sandwiches are one of the most popular sandwiches served in America. These sandwiches are served on a huge variety of breads including white bread, whole wheat bread, buns, rolls, French bread, etc.
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches from All Recipes
- Best Grilled Chicken Sandwich from Two Peas & Their Pod
- Ultimate Grilled Chicken Sandwich from Chef Dennis
Ham Sandwich Recipes – A ham sandwich is a very popular type of sandwich. This sandwich variety often combines ham with cheese as key ingredients. The bread can be toasted, grilled or plain.
Homemade Egg & Sausage Breakfast Sandwich on a Bagel
Hamburger Recipes – Even though there is some debate on whether a hamburger is a sandwich, I am adding some popular hamburger recipes… because hamburgers are usually served between two slices of bread!
- Best Hamburger Patty Recipe from A Spicy Perspective
- Juiciest Hamburgers Ever from Allrecipes
- Cheeseburger – Double or Single from RecipeTin Eats
- The Ultimate Smash Cheeseburger Recipe from Serious Eats
- Bacon, Onion and Cheese Stuffed Burger from Food Network
- Spicy Burgers from Allrecipes
Lobster Roll Recipes – A lobster roll is a sandwich filled with lobster meat and usually served on a roll or hot dog bun. The interior filling usually also contains butter (or mayonnaise), lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Lobster Rolls from Allrecipes
- New England Lobster Roll from A Family Feast
- The Best Lobster Rolls from Foodie Crush
Meatball Sandwich Recipes – A meatball sandwich is usually a hot sandwich filled with meatballs and tomato sauce. It is often topped with melted cheese. People like to use Italian bread, French bread or large rolls to make meatball subs.
- Meatball Sandwich from Allrecipes
- Meatball Subs from Food Network
- Italian Meatball Subs from Tastes Better from Scratch
|Check out these very popular Sandwich & Panini Cookbooks. Tons of great recipes!|
Panini Sandwich Recipes – A panini sandwich is a grilled sandwich that uses many types of bread (such as baguette, ciabatta, focaccia, etc). It is often made with a panini press which “presses” the two halves of the panini sandwich together while heating & grilling/toasting the sandwich.
- Classic Chicken Panini from Betty Crocker
- Chicken Pesto Panini from Allrecipes
- Prosciutto and Provolone Panini Sandwich from Allrecipes
- Veggie Panini Recipe from Lil’ Luna
Pastrami Sandwich Recipes – Pastrami sandwiches are filled with pastrami, a type of meat typically made from beef brisket, beef round or turkey. According to Wikipedia, Pastrami “was originally created as a way to preserve meat before the invention of refrigeration”. Pastrami has a distinctive taste because it is often cured in brine, coated in spices (such as garlic, coriander and black pepper), smoked and then steamed.
- Pastrami Sandwich Recipe with Homemade Russian Dressing from Show Me The Yummy
- Hot Pastrami Sandwich from Food.com
Hamburger & Fries – A Classic “Sandwich” Combo!
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich Recipes – A peanut butter & jelly sandwich is a classic school lunch sandwich often served to children.
- The Classic Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich from Skippy Peanut Butter
- Grilled Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwich from Allrecipes
- PBJ with Bananas from Smucker’s
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipes – A Philly cheesesteak sandwich is usually filled with ingredients such as thin slices of steak topped with melted cheese. Sandwich variations often include extra ingredients such as sauteed onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. These ingredients are placed inside a toasted roll, French bread, etc.
- Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Recipe recipe by Natasha’s Kitchen
- Philly Cheesesteak Recipe with Peppers and Onions by Valerie’s Kitchen
- Philly Cheesesteak by The Toasty Kitchen
Pulled Pork Sandwich Recipes – A pulled pork sandwich is typically filled with shredded pork that has been slow-cooked in a barbecue, slow cooker, etc. The pork in the sandwich is usually mixed together with a sauce. This is a popular American sandwich, especially in the Southern USA.
- Pulled Pork Sandwich from Simply Recipes
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches from Food Network
- Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork from Allrecipes
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Reuben Sandwich Recipes – A Reuben sandwich is a grilled rye bread sandwich usually filled with ingredients such as corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Thousand Island or Russian dressing.
- Reuben Sandwich from Allrecipes
- Reuben Sandwich with Homemade Russian Dressing from Natasha’s Kitchen
- Classic Reuben Sandwich Recipe from Tasting Table
Roast Beef Sandwich Recipes – A roast beef sandwich uses slices of roast beef as the key ingredient. This sandwich can be served hot or cold. According to Wikipedia, “Roast beef is a characteristic national dish of England and holds cultural meaning for the English dating back to the 1731 ballad “The Roast Beef of Old England”. The dish is so synonymous with England and its cooking methods from the 18th century that a French nickname for the English is “les Rosbifs”.”
- Hot Roast Beef Sandwich from Food Network
- Roast Beef Sandwich (cold sandwich) from Chef Billy Parisi
- Deli Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe from Favorite Family Recipes
Roast Beef Sandwich on a Roll
Tuna Sandwich Recipes – A tuna sandwich is often filled with tuna salad. Similarly, a tuna melt is a hot tuna salad sandwich with melted cheese where the sandwich has been grilled, toasted, etc.
- Classic Tuna Melt from Simply Recipes
- Best-Ever Tuna Melt from Delish
- Tuna Salad Sandwich from Simply Recipes
- Classic Tuna Sandwich from StarKist
Turkey Sandwich Recipes – A turkey sandwich uses turkey (duh!) as a key ingredient. While turkey sandwiches are a common lunch sandwich, they are perfect when you are dealing with tons of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving!
- Avocado Turkey Sandwich from California Avocado Commission
- Roasted Turkey Sandwiches from Betty Crocker
- Turkey Club Sandwich from Boar’s Head
Veggie Sandwich Recipes – A veggie sandwich is a sandwich where vegetables are the key filler ingredients. These sandwiches may also include mushrooms (a type of fungus). However, many “veggie” sandwich recipes also often include ingredients such as cheese, mayonnaise, etc. Read the recipe’s ingredient list carefully if you are looking to exclude non-vegetable ingredients.
- Simple Greek Avocado Sandwich from Cookie and Kate
- Portobello Sandwiches from Allrecipes
- Ultimate Veggie Sandwich (hummus & assorted vegetables) from The Kitchen Girl
- Wikipedia, Bacon Sandwich
- Wikipedia, Cucumber Sandwich
- Wikipedia, Club Sandwich
- Wikipedia, Cuban Sandwich
- Wikipedia, French Dip Sandwich
- Wikipedia, Grilled Cheese
- Wikipedia, Ham Sandwich
- Wikipedia, Hamburger
- Wikipedia, Lobster Roll
- Wikipedia, Panini Sandwich
- Wikipedia, Pastrami
- Wikipedia, Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
- Wikipedia, Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- Wikipedia, Pulled Pork
- Wikipedia, Reuben Sandwich
- Wikipedia, Roast Beef
- Wikipedia, Roast Beef Sandwich